Monday, April 14, 2008

Chocolate Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

If it wasn't already apparent, my kitchen does not lack chocolate. I've got big bars (plain or almond - which I bought on mistake), coffee flavored, studded with caramel, peanut brittle chocolate, and chips. A majority of one shelf is exclusively chocolate. So, when the world is ending I'll be eating chocolate, I've become one of those people.

I took these cupcakes with me to celebrate Indiana University's Little 500 bike race in Bloomington, Indiana. My brother called the cake a 'triumph' but didn't like the cream cheese frosting. I'd agree, I think a buttercream with some instant coffee would have been better.

The cupcakes fresh out of the oven and waiting to be cooled and frosted.

Chocolate Cupcake Batter

1/2 stick of butter
1 teaspoon of instant coffee dissolved in 1/2 cup of hot water
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup of all purpose flour
1 cup of sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vanilla yogurt (a great trick - plus it's way cheaper)
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a cupcake pan with ten paper cups. Stir 1/4 cup butter, coffee, 1/4 cup cocoa and vegetable oil in heavy small saucepan over medium heat until smooth. Remove saucepan from heat. Stir flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl until blended. Whisk in cocoa mixture. Whisk buttermilk, eggs, and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla in medium bowl until blended. Add to flour mixture and blend well. Spread batter in prepared cupcake pan.

Bake until tester inserted into center of cupcake comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer to rack.

Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

6 ounces cream cheese, softened
4 tablespoons butter, softened
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 cups of powdered sugar

Cream the cream cheese and butter until fully and smooth. Add the cocoa powder, mix to combine. Add the powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached. Frost to cooled cupcakes. I think the previous chocolate frosting beat this.

No comments: