Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Portobello Mushroom Pizza Rolls

After making the pizza dough and allowing it to rise, I rolled a half out and then made rounds.
Stuffing mixture. Really simple and good.
Once the rounds are cut roll them out again to make them a little longer. I used a large sized spoon to measure the sauce amount onto the dough. Seal the dough with olive oil on one sized. I added some flair by sealing the pizza rolls with a wavy pastry cutter.
Prepared and waiting for the oven. I cut two slits on each pizza roll, brushed them with olive oil and Parmesan cheese.
Finished! Delightful little dinner - I had more then two though!

Pizza Dough, courtesy Smitten Kitchen
6 tablespoons warm water
2 tablespoons white wine
3/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon honey (fresh out of honey, I used sugar)
1 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups flour

Whisk wine, water and yeast in a bowl until yeast is dissolved, about five minutes. Add honey (sugar), salt and olive oil and stir. Add flour and mix with spoon then with hands. May look too dry at first, but keep working it'll come together. Knead for two minutes then put it in an oiled bowl to rise for about one to two hours.

Mushroom Sauce
1 cup chopped mushrooms (I used portobello)
1 cup tomato sauce (I like the Prego organic kind)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons Balsamic vinegar

Chop the mushrooms, while heating a saute pan on medium heat with the olive oil. Add the mushrooms to the pan and Balsamic vinegar. Let the mushrooms get some color and reduce. Add the tomato sauce and turn down heat. Keep stirring until heated through.

Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven. I baked mine on a preheated baking stone. Enjoy!

No comments: